Monday, July 8, 2013

Week 2 Bench Session

Kicked off week 2 last night and that called for work sets of 3x10 at 66% on bench with the final set repped out. I followed this with upper back assistance (dumbell rows, and incline dumbell rows). In this template I am being very disciplined in sticking to assistance work that is focused on my weaknesses (upperback, Abs, hamstrings).

I understand there is not too much growth happening at the 66% level of 1RM however the volume and lower intensity is a good kick off prior to the heavy work to come. Time and time more experienced guys tell me nothing happens below 70% 1RM  but the more I read the more horeshit I think that concept is.

I am kicking off a year long program for next years Nats and I need to build up intensity in the first few weeks of a micro cycle and 10's and 8's at just below or around 70% is just what is required to prepare my body but more importantly my mind.

I recently re-read Charlie Francis's (Ben Johnsons coach from the 80's) and never has there been a more interesting work or a more knowledgeable coach discussing recovery and work load. Regardless of the fact it is based around sprinting it talks about the simply truths regarding recovering, managing total load and understanding when to increase intensity etc. Well worth a read.

What's refreshing on this program is I am excited and looking forward to each session. The preparation for GPC Nationals really wore me down so it is great to refresh with a new cycle and look forward to training. The higher reps are a challenge and have also helped with physical preparedness for this next cycle.

Stay Strong
Thomo


No comments:

Post a Comment