Monday, July 1, 2013

Powerlifting progress - check out experienced lifters progress

As a late starter in this sport at 43 I am trying to make up for lost time, stay focused on progressing at a decent pace and remain injury free. Hell I want to be going strong like gentleman Jim Ambrose in his sixties!

I understand that it is important to run your own race in powerlifting. Given no one has your genetics or unique circumstances it is folly to try and measure your progress too much against peers other than for a general sense check. However what is useful and something I have found quite beneficial is to check out the training logs of some of the PTC crew to understand their progress over the last few years.

For example Dan Rucci has a great looking squat and with a 575 total, he will likely be banging through the 600 mark in no time as he moves into the 90's. Now Dan has a better structure than me and is heavier but watching some videos from a couple of years ago it was heartening to see that his squats in comp were at the 150 mark similar to mine.

Similarly watching big Scott Wasson from 2011 hit a double body weight squat (170 @81) is a nice reference point for my training given I am currently hitting 160@71.9. Now Scott is a seriously good lifter and it was great to watch his intensity at Nats. However I would be silly to think that my progression or total will follow Scott's, over 700kg now, check out his great deady from Nats.

However what is valuable is seeing the progression that is available if you dedicate yourself as Scott has over the last 2 years. So if you are a new lifter or stuck in a rut check out how the stronger PTC lifters have progressed and emulate that consistency and dedication.



Stay Strong
 Thomo

No comments:

Post a Comment