Monday, July 1, 2013

First training session chasing 2014 Nationals

What is that they say about the journey of a 1000 miles....well last night was the first step to my 500+ total for next year.

I am running a fairly simple template based around Chad Wesley Smiths Juggernaught. I have chosen this because it's simple, there are ready made templates to calculate everything and it is based initially on rep maxes. I like this idea to keep me out of the low rep hammering I have taken in the run up to States and Nationals. In Perth States was only 6 weeks prior to Nationals so given they were my first and second comp ever it felt like I was in a constant peak for the last 12 weeks.

Regarding templates It doesn't matter what I run as a newbie, as long as it's based on sound principles managing intensity, volume and frequency. However the key for me is not to go too hard too early. I have a habit of programming high and then crashing out early. Not this season...I am going to be judicious in how I build my programming for the year pushing lots of base building volume in the 65-80%.

While I am happy with my results I need a shit load of mass on my frame to be more competitive with the other lightweight masters lifters. I have also made a commitment to consistency across all of my training modalities. So this year I am not going to compromise on food, sleep etc. As a consultant previously I had periods traveling away or up to site for 4 out of 5 days a week which tended to create havoc both with food choice and finding decent gyms. Now I am Perth based so while my hours are just as long at least I can at least stick to more of a routine.

The gym had a nice vibe last night with regulars in including most of the Nationals team. Watching the team kick off for their next program is always interesting with a number of different approaches. Darwin was squatting and is focused on bringing up his bench and Squat (already decent lifts!) to match his world record deadlift. Dan looked like he was still in competition mode bringing the intensity to a set of 5x5 squats and Paul Rucci was banging out front squats with perfect form!

Everyone seemed to be still buzzing after the Novice comp the day before, though talking to big Mike he managed to pull a sizeable chunk out of his hand when spotting a lifter on the mono. Not too worry he is a big strong unit so shouldn't slow him down in the gym!

Stay Strong

















No comments:

Post a Comment