Monday, January 28, 2013

Just you and the bar



Trained twice over the Australia day long weekend and slowly getting my groove back in the squat and deadlift.I definitely enjoy the weekend sessions. On Saturday it was quiet, only 3-4 guys in, the music was low and the sun banging in through the open garage door. For me these quieter sessions are when  training becomes the release and therapy from the day to day grind.

I prefer these sessions lost in my thoughts between sets just waiting for the clock to tick down, away from the normal hustle and bustle of a busy training night.  There was a great article on EliteFts the other week (check it out   http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/dont-shake-the-weights/  ) that talked about not over doing the enthusiasm when lifting and it resonates heavily with my preferred style.

Now I understand many of the younger guys prefer the music cranking insanely high and like to fire up each set and work themselves up into a nice old frenzy. Me...I only have so much energy and CNS stimulation available each session and in fact each week. I like to approach the bar with calm aggression before the big sets. Perhaps its because I am not pushing the insanely big lifts that some of our crew are.

Regardless all that other stuff at the end of the day is just noise. In these sessions it all comes together, just you, the iron and your thoughts. No external stimulation needed or relied upon because at the end of the day its always you and the bar alone.

Now don't get me wrong I like nothing better than spotting one of the crew and pushing the guys in our crew and I sure as hell appreciate a crowd pushing me when I aim for PB. However my preference is to foster self reliance and internal focus, it suits my temperament and ensures that you can cope when circumstances change.

Have a look at the ELiteFTS article and perhaps try a session when you keep it all for the platform and minimize the energy leakage!

Stay Strong
Thomo

No comments:

Post a Comment