Saturday, January 12, 2013

Stop Butt Tucking when Squatting

The butt tuck, that is when you your ass tucks under as you seek depth in the squat is a ridiculously common issue for many lifters.

In fact given the prevalence of mobility issues and common imbalances in lifters its not surprising that the tuck is so prevalent. What does surprise me is how often a lifter doesn't realise they are doing it. I for one tuck quite regularly when I haven't squatted for a while. In fact in my last session (first squat session back) Dazzer's video of my form showed a clear tuck nearing parallel and then the nasty lumbar flexion as my range of motion limit is reached.

Typically I resemble the ape like guy on the right in the diagram below, note the tucked gluts and loss of lordotic curve.



Now there are a couple of reasons why you may tuck but in this post I will focus on my particular root cause. For me my anterior core is not particularly strong and when I don't train in consistently it weakens considerably. If you know something about the mechanics of the pelvis and the various competing forces then you also know that the anterior core resists the pull of the hamstrings (think of the pelvis as the pivot point). The diagram below (courtesy of Ian King) illustrates the competing forces around the pelvis (rectangle).


While I am missing the hamstring on this diagram my week anterior core can't resist the pull of the hamstrings which naturally pull my glute under as I squat down.

So how do you test if the anterior core may be the culprit, well Cressey Peformance suggest a simple test: perform a free squat and confirm that you tuck, now repeat the free squat but with a 5kg dumbell held straight out in front of you as you squat down. You might find that you now can squat well and the tuck has disappeared.

In this instance it is likely the anterior core. Tony Gentilicore suggests there may be other culprits but explains that in the second squat the fact that you held a weight out in front of you forced your anterior core to switch on and work hard to balance the dumbell and therefore opposed the pull of the hamstrings.

Therefore for me my resolution is lots of quality planks, AB wheel roller (old school!!) and a cool little exercise Tony Gentilecore recommends, the Palloff Press.



Now there can also be hip and hamstring issues that contribute or are the primary cause of your butt tuck and as always seek an experienced exercise physiologist for a proper diagnosis. However if your problem is similar to mine then get to work on the anterior core and remember STAY AWAY FROM CRUNCHES!!!

Stay Strong
Thomo


No comments:

Post a Comment