Friday, February 8, 2013

Changing jobs...changing training programs

I have been crazy busy the last week especially since I managed to quit my job and start a new role all in the space of 5 days!  Despite the chaos the change got me thinking of the similarity between satisfaction in training and satisfaction in a professional role.

In my case I was offered a role and the key elements were in place:
  1. ethical owners, who live their values
  2. a good team supporting the business
  3. opportunity to grow in the role
All things being equal these are the fundamentals for me and I struggle to commit if they aren't in place.

Similarly with training it doesn't matter how good a training template is, if it doesn't align with your style then it just won't get the job done because you won't commit to it long term. While this sounds pretty damn simple it's surprising how often it is forgotten when programming training. 

That's why I stick to Wendler 5/3/1, I like the split, the assistance template gives me plenty of options and the frequency works. Similarly guys I train with have their favourite templates and stick to that.

Just remember you favourite routine has to adhere to the general principles of progression and management of intensity and most importantly it has to be delivering results.

Stay Strong
Thomo







No comments:

Post a Comment