Sunday, February 10, 2013

Does training leave you shattered



 Intensity is a training variable that I really struggled to manage early on in training. The common assumption in many gyms is that unless you are going 'hardcore' you aren't really training. As a consequence I often finished each session physically stuffed, struggling to haul my ass home. Primarily this was because I didn't understand that the greater the intensity the shorter session and lower volume of work that must be undertaken.

What I subsequently learnt was that intensity is only one of the variables to be managed by a training program. Fortunately I am a little smarter these days and focus on completing my prescribed reps and my programs assiduously reflect a volume and duration that is commensurate with the intensity I have planned for that session or micro cycle.

Bottom line is understand the variables you have programmed in to your routine. Too often I see programs built up with the usual primary lift, assistance work and conditioning. However while the absolute weight may be programmed in the relationship between the overall intensity and volume of the session is ignored or forgotten. Similarly the individuals capacity for work is also ignored. Often multiple conditioning (GPP) sessions are added to the mix to increase the individuals work capacity however these again eat into recovery and often aren't factored in.

I read a good article on EliteFts a while back from a powerlifter who outlined his first routine when he started training at Westside Barbell under the legendary Louie Simmons. What struck me was how little volume there was each session including the conditioning work. Importantly he made the point that the ability to handle greater volume and therefore ramp up the intensity was built over several years (read 3) not months.

So have a good look at your training, do you finish each session feeling spent and completely exhausted. Maybe take a closer look at your volume, intensity and duration for the natural average guys looking to get big and strong more is often less!

Stay Strong
Thomo


No comments:

Post a Comment