Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Deadlift night..yeh baby!

Monday night dead-lift night...oh yeah! So for the next 5 weeks I am re-building my form and running a linear progression 5x5 on my deadlifts before I switch back to pure Wendler 5/3/1. The idea is to get some more reps into me and video every damn workout so I know my hip hinge is working and my glutes are firing.

It was a good vibe in the gym and it has been many months since I have lifted on a Monday. Lots of bodies working hard, plenty of foam rolling and good to see people sharing racks and working effectively. Paul was hammering belt squats, Wingman rebuilding with strict box squats, Perry pushing some solid benches...appears to have gotten a lot from his second Baxter bench seminar.

My deadlift sets felt good but so they should at only 60% of 1RM. What has been good about this routine so far is what Paul Carter alludes to: working within yourself but still getting the numbers and progressing. Pushed high rep good mornings for my assistance template and these felt great. I stuck to a light weight and concentrated on a really good hip hinge driving the butt back. Glad I kept it light given my damn hammies are sore as hell today.

The more I watch and learn the more I believe the average guy performs far too much volume and too high an intensity for too long during a cycle.  In fact I think the average guy has too little appreciation about the level of work required to disrupt homeostasis and therefore grow and get strong.  Clearly it's and individual thing but next cycle try staying within yourself and see how your recovery goes.

Stay Strong
Thomo


No comments:

Post a Comment