Thursday, January 23, 2014

Random Musings for Thursday




I had a good session tonight and  here I sit inhaling my post workout meal of chinese noodles and a perfectly cooked steak.

The gym was busy tonight and watching some of the crew between sets it struck me that if lightning hit this gym and bounced from Olympic bar to Olympic bar most people would survive given how infrequently they use the big bar (oh except for rack curls!). Everyone seems to be doing 1 arm tricep kick backs, dumbell work and lots of grinding sets on the hammer strength pressing machines.

Not withstanding some of the 'special sauce' that more than a few of the lads seem to be on, the physiques remind me how much hypertrophy is available from light weight volume. Screw that I'd rather still look skinny and be deadlifting 3x bodyweight!

I'm still thinking about the PTC Perth Cup last weekend. Watching all the lads up there in their soft suits on the platform really fired up the competitive spirit.  So much so I pulled out my soft suit and wraps last night, remembering the fun at Nationals.

At this stage I am undecided whether I will do States or just lift whatever my current weeks program is at the GPC qualifier a month out from Nationals. I love the States event the idea of having a solid 4 months to just base build without grinding and peaking for a meet. I'll see how training pans out over the next month and make a decision closer to the event.

At the moment I am enjoying the anonymity of training again, the silent battle for progression. It's funny that though I turn 44 this year I have barely scratched the surface of what I believe is my potential so I still plan my training as if I am 20 again. Watching Eric on the platform on Saturday at 84 years young reminded my how much time I have in this sport. It was special to see someone at that age still competing still striving, definitely and honour to witness his lifts.

Not much more to add, I am looking down at the fresh scuff marks on my shin from paused deadlifts, knowing my back will be protesting in the morning. Regardless I love this shit!

Lift long

Thomo








5 comments:

  1. Hi Thomo, I started competing in PL again at the age of 41 after not competing or lifting much at all from the ages of 27 to 41. I had trained and competed from 21-27. I'm currently 47 and still setting lifetime PRs (drug free, TRT free, I compete in an IPF affiliate fed) so you definitely have plenty of time and lots of PR's still to come. Most days I still feel like I did when I was in my 20's and haven't gotten any signs that progress is over, just need to be a little smarter about training and recovery but still don't have to bother with any of that foam rolling or mobility voodoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Craig
      Thanks for stopping by. Yes I really do feel that age wont be a hindrance for many years to come. Though as you suggest we just have to be that much smarter about auto-regulating and managing recovery. My greatest challenge is getting 8+ hours of sleeep. Runnng a manufacturing plant and having a 3 year old daughter tends to push me into the late nights early starts realm so I really need to get this sorted. Great blog, I enjoy reading your progress, kudos to you finding your way back to the sport again. Stay in touch!

      Delete
    2. will do Thomo, have enjoyed reading your blog too. I discovered it after you ran the interview with Greg Nuckols.

      Delete
  2. I have found that Bob Hoffman's Heavy-Light system works well for Hypertrophy.

    Do your normal workout but after your last set drop the weight down to 75% of your top set and do 1x8. Either do it immediately or after a 60 sec rest period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elijah

      I incorporate something similar in my program currently and when I was doing Wendler my assistance work was always hypertrophy based. Hope your lifting is going well!

      Delete