Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Brandon Lilly Injured Squatting



I just saw a grainy video of Brandon Lilly go down as his left kneecap gives way under a 340kg squat. Here's wishing the big guy a speedy rehab and recovery. I haven't met him personally but the Australia GPC president has and speaks highly of the guy from his trip down under last year. Based on his facebook he has had surgery and hopefully it all went well for the long road back.

Interestingly more than a few comments on the forums have queried why there weren't more spotters etc but when 340kg goes down that quickly there is little chance of arresting that much weight. It's certainly a timely reminder that this sport at it's extremes really puts competitors at risk. It takes a big set of balls to get under that much weight.

One thing I will say (not that it mattered in this instance) is that I am glad I lift in GPC events where as a federation we promote squatting bone/joint gives way it sure as hell makes sure that much weight doesn't pin you down and do more damage.

Regardless I am sure the big guy will be back as soon as humanly possible.

Stay Strong
Thomo


No comments:

Post a Comment