Saturday, January 11, 2014

Powerlifting today in 44 degree heat and why we all squat differently


Saturday was a nice touch of Perth summer, 44 degree Celsius and not a cool spot to be found. Suffice to say I scheduled training to ensure I am doing nothing but sitting on my arse in front of the AC with a tall cool glass of ice water.

Last night I pushed through deadlifts (double paused), front squats and bench. It was one of those sessions where I was just sweating like a dog the whole damn way. Though I suspect it might have had something to do with moving 20kg bags of cement during the day at work.

I'm still feeling the residual effects of the nasty gastro infection I picked up over Xmas. Hopefully another dose of the antibiotics will get me back on deck.

I was checking out Bret Contreras's site the other day and saw a link to this very cool article. It succinctly highlight  the fallacy of the one size-fits all approach to cueing and coaching the big lifts that many quasi coaches engage in particularly the squat.

http://themovementfix.com/the-best-kept-secret-why-people-have-to-squat-differently/

In the short time I have been competing I have tried to work within the general principles of the big lifts but take into account my own individual anthropometry. This is not a simple task and requires vigilance to really get your movement pattern locked down.

Thomo


No comments:

Post a Comment