Monday, January 13, 2014

Powerlifting Lessons from Donny Shankle





I know what you are going to say, 'What' with weightlifting week at Training Truth?" First I am talking up Jon North and now I'm posting snippets from his old training partner Donny Shankle.Donny doesn't appear to say much (at least from what I can glean from his videos) but when he does its short and to the point. Below is from one of his recent blog entries.

"As you sit in between attempts in training and competition do so on a straight back. This addition to your training, like keeping your eyes forward, has greater carryover on the platform than you might realize. If you sit with poor posture then you will lift with a rounded back. Learn to sit in your chair off of your hamstrings with you shoulder blades pulled together like a cobra rearing back its hood. Focus on your breathing and start to set the arch in your back before you even stand up. Attention to tiny details like this will help you to find bar whip and feel the stretch reflex. Tiny details like this will make you stand out as a professional and give you every possible chance to lift the most you can."

I like this post it resonates with me and perhaps this is one of the reasons I am enjoying training alone again. Just me versus the bar, locked in a private silent war, brief clanking of plates punctuated only by breathing between sets.

Stay Strong Thomo

No comments:

Post a Comment