Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Deadlifts and grooving the Squat

First session back tonight since I lost 8 days to a nasty parasitic little fucking infection laid me low. Lesson for self don't visit the local swimming pool with my daughter because that is the second time this year I caught a bug from their poorly maintained facilities! Arghhhhh

Session itself was pretty good. Working set of 8 reps went well in the deadlift and the back of sets of triples flew up. My cluster bench sets of triples, doubles and singles were good and my body position felt tight.

I finished up with 5x5 on the squat. Typically this would be front squats but talking through with coach we have decided to switch in front squats for the majority of work this month and work heavily on the 5x5 session on making sure my back squat form is solid so I don't get a repeat of the tailbone soreness that was coming on strong. Based on lots of video's there are some tweaks I need to work with. 

I have pushed my hand placement out while  work on t-spine and shoulder mobility. Also pushing a little wider in foot placement as I have a habit of creeping in too narrow which starts to mess with my form.

Finished off with a few face pulls and done for the night. Bumped into Ando from the PTC team who actually works at the regular gym I attend. His numbers are looking good, as always he has a great bench and I am sure he will post some nice PB's at Nationals this year.

Time to feed the hunger and get the recovery going coz its back on!

I'll finish with a pic of the Austrian Oak from back in the day. Seeing pics like this it makes you realise how fucked up bodybuilding has gone with excessive hormone use.  Looks like something Michelangelo carved from stone. For me the early eighties were the golden years, around the time Sammir Bannout took out the 83 Mr Olympia. Once Haney left and Dorian too over the mass monster and use of gear became all too pervasive.

Cheers Thomo
ps watched a woman tonight in full lycra lean against her car and finish her cigarette before heading into the gym to train.....hmmmm





No comments:

Post a Comment