Monday, March 18, 2013

To be a powerlifter you have to compete

Someone asked me the other day what I did to stay in shape. Now I always cringe when people ask this question as it necessitates me doing the whole 'Powerlifting oh ok what is that' question that normally just wastes 5-10 minutes of my life!

However it got me to thinking about a conversation I had earlier in the week with Dan (one of the PTC owners). Essentially we agreed that you need to compete to truly call yourself a lifter i.e. you are not a bodybuilder unless you slap on the oil, squeeze into the trunks and get up and pose on the platform and you are not a powerlifter unless you go deep into the hole with the soft suit on and the judges watching. Similarly you are not a Crossfitter in Perth unless you pay too much for your membership.....KIDDING!

Seriously though the act of competing legitimizes the activity, it allows you to claim the title of bodybuilder, powerlifter etc. That's not to say the millions of guys and gals just banging the steel in their basements etc with no competitive urges aren't the real deal. It's just that lifting in competition changes the game.

That's why I am dragging my sorry 43 year old ass to both States and Nationals this year. Now let me be very clear I have a real desire to set the GPC masters record for my weight class and if some other achy back, angry old men turn up I will happily aim to kick their ass.

But it's important to put it in context. Looking at the recent lifts of some of my younger and more experienced competitors in the 75kg class its pretty apparent I won't be coming within 200 km's of their total  unless I can get a fucking forklift classified as legal lifting gear! Regardless I am like Ronnie Coleman at a buffet with excitement at the idea of representing PTC Perth and lifting on the competitive platform.

So once I compete I get to own the title of powerlifter. That means I can in the future bore the shit out of much younger lifters with stories of  'back in the day at Nationals...' Mind you most of my stories will no doubt relate to my best work at the after meet dinner, regardless though my lifts may not be on the PTC top 10 I will certainly be a Powerlifter!

So whats stopping... you as the old tagline says..just do it!

Stay Strong
Thomo




No comments:

Post a Comment