Monday, March 4, 2013

Deadlift today!

On the back of a long weekend holiday I managed a comfortable 5x5 deadlift session today. PTC Perth was pumping tonight, Dazzer was pulling 4+ plates and the Rucci brothers were grinding out comfortable sets in the squat with their usual impeccable form.

I have varied slightly from my 5/3/1 for deadlifts, instead working a simple 5x5 linear progression. Primarily I am keen to get some volume into my deadlift so I can groove my technique after the injuries late last year. So far so good, the adductor tweaks occasionally but rarely and most often when I am squatting.

Today was a solid set of 5 with just under 70% of 1RM. The hip hinge is still feeling good and the hips aren't going to early on the pull. I finished off with some military presses for volume and then pushed a few body weight sets of reverse hypers. For this I just laid backwards on the glute ham raise and will hold a dumbell between my ankles. Not ideal but I found reverse hypers really helped my deadlift a few years back and I am keen to get them going again.

Followed my session with some creatine and dextrose followed by a great feed to get the calories and protein in.

Some conditioning and recovery work and then I will be ready for squatting again in a couple of days. States are scheduled for late April and so far everything is looking good!

Stay Strong
Thomo


No comments:

Post a Comment