Friday, March 29, 2013

Focus on your powerifting strengths not weaknesses

In business there is a school of thought that I subscribe to that posits an individual should focus on working their strengths rather than weaknesses.

The anecdotal evidence supports this: generally lots of effort to improve a weakness takes most people from mediocrity to average at best. Unfortunately the opportunity cost is the time that could have been used to spend taking your strength and turning it into excellence.

This got me to thinking about the three lifts in powerlifting. Much of the training talk I hear is about working on the 'weak' lift. However as per the business example perhaps that is not the best strategy. For me the deadlift is my strength partly due to my longer than average arms, while this attribute provides me no end of trouble in the bench.

Now I have spent plenty of time bringing my bench up and though this has yielded a 10kg PB in the last few months there is a point of diminishing returns. Therefore in the run to states while I am busy building my base across all my lifts I will focus on the dead.

Just a thought think less of your weakness and aim to increase your total working on your strength!

Stay Strong
Thomo

No comments:

Post a Comment