Sunday, August 12, 2012

Squat Mobility for Ass to Grass - work on your movement pattern




At PTC Perth squat day is all about grooving my squat. New dance move?? No... what I mean is I have gotten serious about my form issues and focusing on addressing the functional limitations in my technique.  I want to go ass to the ground like our hairy friend in the pic.

I have noticed a number of guys training their ass off in the squat but each rep and each session noticing movement pattern limitations that are inhibiting them building bigger numbers. One example is where you have difficulty making depth due to poor flexibility. The body can often chase this depth through compensating poor movement patterns. A case in point, when watching a few of the lads hit their limit in depth on the squat (generally its above parallel) they will (unknowingly) move into lumbar flexion to chase what feels like a deeper squat. Worse still the upper back collapses and we have a nasty looking hybrid good morning.

Issues like this manifest in a negative feedback loop that continually reinforces the poor movement pattern not too mention increasing the possibility of injury. These poor movement patters are frustrating as you continually run into a sticking point where your numbers won't go up or worse you get injured.

I have been working  20 mins twice a day on my hip, ankle and hamstring issues. The key is what movement stretches do you apply? Obviously it depends on what your issues are. However the bigger issue is where to find guidance if you haven't got a great physiotherapist. Personally I have found Kelly Starrett's Mobility WOD site a really cool resource for understanding how to address movement pattern issues (http://www.mobilitywod.com/about)

Kelly posts some very cool easy to understand daily videos that address a variety of mobility issues. They are quite casual and are invariably performed in his garage, kitchen etc but the mobility stretches are fantastic. The only problem I have found is indexing the various posts to pull out the specific ones I need. See the video for an example of a hip rotation stretch and one that is working well for me.



 I will post this week the top 5 I am using to help me with my squat.

Till then...
Stay Strong
Thomo





No comments:

Post a Comment