Monday, August 20, 2012

Deadlift....PB tonight!


Its 10:30 and still buzzing from training tonight. Cycle 6 week 2 of Wendler 5/3/1 and yes deadlift tonight. Managed 8 reps (poor lock out on the last) for a weight I needed  3 reps on, Thomo brought the BOOM!

So as I sit here in post workout bliss, I am reflecting on what drove the PB tonight. A couple of things come to mind. First as I keep telling you Wendler 5/3/1 is the perfect routine for me: no overreaching and the ability to moderate volume with my assistance work. Second, its about discipline sure I felt like shit today and it would have been easy to blow of tonight's session but I showed up and brought my A game and that makes the difference. Finally and most importantly PTC Perth. The training environment is hardcore and supports PBs week after week.

At the gyms I used to train at in Ozzy park and Warwick getting ready for my last deadlift set would have involved waiting for the numb nuts curling in the power cage to get the fuck out of my way or try not to bump into the 25 guys doing tricep kickbacks yelling 'bring it baby'!!!??? But at PTC Perth tonight I had Dan and Paul Rucci, big Dan, Dave and Yanni stop training gather round (first making sure ACDC was pumping a tune) and push me to an 8 rep PB on a set I would have been happy with 4 reps!!  For me it was even more impressive to hit those numbers given I had taken my pre-workout protein too close to my session and spent half the reps with clenched cheeks trying not to shit my pants.

My membership was worth it just for that damn session tonight! With that support and environment you can't not achieve your best and smash PB's. So if you can find an old school strength gym pay more or travel further if you have to but ditch the bullshit chain gym and bring the BOOM! Oh and if you are in Perth man up and get your ass down to see Dan, Paul and Aaron.

Stay Strong
Thomo



No comments:

Post a Comment