Monday, February 3, 2014

Rule 1: Don't lift on a Monday night


Tonight I made the fatal mistake of performing my biggest session of the week on a Monday night. I had forgotten just how busy the gym gets. Now at a typical garage gym that is not a problem because everyone is hitting the big three lifts and understand how to work in. Not so at a commercial gym where tonight the platform was taken up by a guy bent rowing and his girlfriend deadlifting 50kg with straps for almost 40 mins.

In fact for the first 20 mins of my warm up there were no Oly bars free at all. When I did get to lift the bar I used may well have been the smoothest shortest bar I have used. On my warm-up at 130 I spotted another free bar and quickly reloaded this so I could perform my top set with comfort.

Following dead's I had front pause squats which felt fantastic and rounded out the session with my bench volume work. Despite being heavily fatigued from pulling and squatting I had a super strong session with good paused repsat 86 and 88% of my 1RM.  Sessions like this keep reminding me how important mental strength is in offsetting fatigue.

I did note today that I need to get another pre-workout meal in prior to training. Typically I will eat at 1:30, get away on time at 4:30 looking to train by 5. However what invariably happens is I get delayed at home playing with my daughter and then by the time I have warmed up and gotten to the gym its 6:30 and with a 7:45 finish I  am only running on my pre-workout and intra workout shakes to keep me going. From now on I will  slip an extra solid pre-workout snack in 1.5 hours out from gym time.

Now I am kicking back digesting some chicken, potatoes and broccoli while tweaking my numbers for Wednesday's session. Post workout feeding one of life's simple pleasures!

Stay Strong

Thomo



No comments:

Post a Comment