Saturday, September 28, 2013

Phil Heath takes the Olympia 2013

Its been a quiet month for blogging given that thing called 'life' has gotten in the way of my normal routine. Today I had the house to myself so kicked back in the study logged into BodyBuilding.com and watched the Mr Olympia live cast. In fact an interesting Olympia given it was the first since the passing of Joe Weider who to a very large degree served as a catalyst for the whole body-building movement and sport.

I have never competed in body-building, no desire to, nor do I really follow body-building any more. However I have followed every Mr Olympia result since first being exposed to the sport back in 1983...fuck where did that 30 years go??

It's is amazing to watch the guys on stage today and see where bodybuilding is today. On reflection I think the 212 class is am interesting addition over the years and throws back to a slightly (just) more aesthetic physique. 

 I think the mid to late eighties were the golden years of the sport. Importantly the  physiques still looked attainable for the average schmuck like me. Classic looks like Labrada or Bob Paris below didn't repulse the general population and you could still identify with the look as one promoting health.



I still loved the reign of modern stars like Ronnie Coleman but probably more so for the training videos than the actual result of such a 'supplemented' look.

In was strange watching it live today and compare back to when I was a kid. In those days you were reliant on the results in the next edition of Muscle and Fitness or Flex. This would usually be 1 month or two late as there was no Internet. Right about now someone reading this is going..'no fucking Internet..no way!'

Despite the excesses the sport it still hangs in there and continues to appeal as a sub culture. For me I will probably always watch it given the link to my childhood. 

Stay Strong

Thomo



No comments:

Post a Comment