Monday, September 3, 2012

Mass and Strength Commandments


I mentioned in yesterday's post that I would outline the factors that I think contribute to keeping me progressing weekly on my Wendler 5/3/1 routine..as promised:

1) Pick a Routine and Stick with it

The worst thing you can do is flounder around from routine to routine based on what you just read or what such and such said in the gym. Progress doesnt happen overnight it takes effort over years to achieve solid sustainable results. So pick the routine that suits you (lifestyle, recovery etc) and then grind it out DON'T FUCKING CHANGE IT. For me Wendler works well, at PTC others use the PTC PPP program. It doesn't matter as long as it is progressive allows recovery  and focuses on strength and some assistance work. Just don't fuck with it...yes Yanni I am talking to you!!

2) Eat well 

You would think this is obvious but I am constantly surprised by guys that are desperate to get stronger and put on size and yet they wouldn't have a clue what their base calorie requirements are or how much they eat in a week. Get on the net use one of the algorithms to establish your base calories. Then based on your workout expenditure and lifestyle measure, weigh and eat exactly what you need to support training and gain strength and size. Better still if you are a member of PTC Perth we have access to gold standard metabolic testing at a local university (yes it costs but not much and a one off hit to know your base calories is more than worth it!).

I pre-cook, weigh and take all my meals, my whole week is planned every weekend. Saves money ensures I don't miss a meal and hell its a lot cheaper too!

3) Measure Progress

How many lifters delude themselves they are progressing...plenty! Obviously if you have step 1&2 covered you will know if you are getting stronger but that's no use if you are getting fat at the same time. So what do I measure? I want to get as strong as possible with the best possible body composition so for me there are two key metrics:
a) Get stronger: obviously on Wendler 5/3/1 I work at 95% of 1RM each month. Therefore over a 12 month period I can clearly see my strength increasing based on whether I am hitting rep numbers on the prescribed weight
b) Get and Stay Healthy: For this I measure body composition each quarter via Dexa scan and overall health via blood work every 6 months

So I can hear a few of you thinking the blood work is over the top but guess what, I am 42, working 70 hours a week and will have a triple body weight deadlift in the next few years, Hell I will still be doing this and going strong at 50. This is because I focus on being healthy as well as getting stronger and I take the time to prove it through bloodwork. Those of you in your twenties eating shit and fucking, lets see if you are still lifting heavy in 20 years time! Oh and if you are at PTC we have access to gold standard Dexa scans at a very reasonable price.

4) Have Goals long term

12 week cycles are great but you have to have broader goals. I have aspirations for a triple body weight deadlift naturally (of course!), so that isn't going to happen in the next 6 months. Hell the way I have it mapped out its closer to 2.5 years. But that's ok in fact that's exactly how its supposed to work! What this means is that you are going to have highs and lows but all of your sessions overtime support that PB you hit at competition.

The implication of this is that progress and increments in poundage's and reps will come slowly that's why it always pays to take the long term view.

5) Don't Neglect Recovery, Pre-Hab and Balance

It's easy to pound the iron hard when you are a student, don't work fulltime  or have kids. As some of the PTC boys will attest the equation changes heavily as you get older and life gets in the way of training! Regardless its important to always manage your recovery. For me I get physio once every 4-6 weeks. I know from experience my lumbars tighten over time and heavy cycles so some active release every 4 weeks or so keeps me ticking over. Similarly, I do bands for my rotators and lots of upper back pulling to compensate for hours spent hunched over a laptop at work. Often simple tactics can work, lots of fish oil to manage inflammation, salt baths to ease tired muscles and stretching, foam rolling and often light body weight sets to flush blood work out the kinks.

6) Don't Be a Twat!

Probably the most important rule. I am all for a low key under the radar approach to training. I don't wear gym gear outside of training. I prefer to keep the intensity bubbling below the surface. So many new trainers talk it up and psyche themselves up every set of every session, but often leave little in the tank. Track these individuals over time and its a common story..they train hard for 8 weeks then they get sick, or they get too busy or they can't be bothered blah blah blah!

Simple equation prepare well, train hard and then get the fuck out and eat recover and rest. Rinse, repeat several thousand times over years and you have your self a life long passion.

Stay Strong
Thomo!

No comments:

Post a Comment