Sunday, September 25, 2016

Lift more...switch off the brain

I wish I had a switch that would allow me to turn off my brain. One of the problems of being naturally inquisitive and an analyst by background is that I can sometimes overthink things in a desire to achieve an outcome. This becomes particularly problematic in regards to training. 

For the last couple of months, I have been running a 10-week contest peak which was going perfectly fine until I ran into a challenging period at work. You know the usual, long hours missed meals and travel. This translate to two weeks in a row of 4 day breaks from training following by 2-3 consecutive days of training in a frantic effort to maintain momentum.

Friday night I found myself in this situation and with meet day looming I needed to get my squat back on track. In the previous week, it felt like I had completely lost the fundamental ability to squat. Annoyingly I just couldn't get consistent good depth and when I did it felt like I was completely out of position. 

With this context, I wasn't particularly confident to hit the number I needed. However, in a rare moment of clarity I remembered the words of a coach of mine from a few years back. While I'm loosely paraphrasing he would say, Thomo don't overcomplicate the squat.Put the bar on your back and sit down, don't think don't worry about failing just sit down and stand up....simple turn my brain of and keep it simple.

Net result with a single spotter, no wraps, and no fanfare I hit an unwrapped PB squat. Mentally it was a morale boost and proved I am stronger this year. The number unwrapped was my previous wrapped 1st or 2nd in comp and is 89% of my best wrapped competition squat.

Tomorrow is deadlift day and will likely be 95-97% of 1RM. Sitting here tapping away I have at least 3 steaks in me along with enough carbs to get a good bloat happening.

Bring on the pain.

Thomo

No comments:

Post a Comment