Monday, September 26, 2016

Deadlift Fun

Today was going to be a challenge. I needed to get my training out of the way early as I had a barbecue in the country to get to and needed to be on the road by 10:00. For context I hate rushing and really dont like early morning training.


Two weeks out from Nationals and I was programmed for a 97% 1RM deadlift today followed by working sets.


Given it was 7:30am I made sure to hit plenty of light reps to warm up the back. The early timing also ensured there was only a handful of lifters around.


Warms ups done I started laddering my way to a top set. Form felt a little off as the weight went up until I gather my breath and gripped and ripped my top set.


Overall it moved pretty quick but video review afterwards revealed I had let it get way too far in front as it hit my knees. I really had to work that much harder to get it to lock out.


It just illustrates that when your form is off even a little, the weight is proportionately that much harder. On my work sets I realised I had neglected to focus on keeping my lats tight thus the drift forward.


Refocusing on lats for my work sets resulted in a much quicker pull and an overall feeling of being tighted and more fluid. I will need to focus on this queue right up to comp day.


Depsite the time pressures I felt pretty good about this week and overall relaxed about Masters Nationals.


Thomo

No comments:

Post a Comment