Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Wendler Rules Ok!



Straight up I will declare my hand,  I am a big fan of Jim Wendler and after running his template I am certainly an advocate of his 5/3/1 program. Now I can hear a few of you already...not enough volume....where's the dynamic day... how can you progress with just 3 tops sets??!??!

For me its the perfect template for a number of reasons:
  • It has a simple, progressive monthly loading scheme that ensures you hit 95% 1RM each monthly micro cycle (but not too often)
  • Every 4th week is a forced de-load at 40,50,60% of 1RM, which is great for guys like me that tend to keep pushing and over do it
  • I love the flexibility of the template: if my day goes to shit after a 12-14 hour work day I hit the key work sets only, on a good day I do the work sets and the assistance work 
  • Most importantly it emphasises constant progression, starting from a low base to ensure you build up a habit of hitting your weekly numbers


Program aside Jim's no bullshit approach resonates with me. A key theme in his writing is that powerlifting is a game of gradual increments, that you are in this for decades not just weekly gains.  

So if you've been pushing too hard and you need to get back to basics, or you're a beginner who can't get any more out of a Rippetoe 5x5 routine, then drop some cash and buy the 5/3/1 program.

Oh and if your looking for a facility with all the gear you need to run the 5/3/1 then join up at PTC Perth

Stay Strong
Thomo

No comments:

Post a Comment